Psychotherapy is amoung the forms of treatment recommended for depression, anxiety, insomnia, chronic fatigue and other medical and psychological conditions. Called "therapy" for short, the word psychotherapy actually involves a variety of treatment techniques. During psychotherapy, a person talks to a licensed mental health care professional who helps him or her identify and work through the factors that may be causing them mental and emotional problems.
How Does Psychotherapy Help?
Psychotherapy can help you to:
- Understand the behaviors, emotions, and ideas that contribute to your mental, physical and emotional distress.
- Understand and identify the life problems or events that contribute to your physical, mental and emotional uneasiness and to help you understand which aspects of those problems you can resolve.
- Restructure ways of thinking, modify negative attributes and attitudes you have about yourself and the ways in which faulty thinking may perpetuate your difficulty in experiencing a positive physical, emotional and mental presence
- Regain a sense of control and pleasure in your life
- Learn coping techniques and problem-solving skills.